Forensic Science Program
The Forensic Science program is taught by Mr. Lautzenheiser, who has been teaching for eight years and this will be his 9th year at VTCTA. Additionally, Mr. Lautzenheiser has been a death investigator with the Clark County Office of the Coroner and Medical Examiner for fifteen years.
The Forensic Science field is extremely competitive and students will be given a solid foundation to help prepare them for all aspects of a career in the field of Forensic Science. Some careers that can be found the the Las Vegas Valley include: LVMPD Crime Scene Analyst and Forensic Laboratory Technician.
Students will learn how crime scenes are secured/investigated, how evidence collected from crime scenes is analyzed in a laboratory setting, the importance of evidence documentation from the time crime scenes are secured; to testifying in court regarding the analysis of that evidence.
Students who choose to major in Forensic Science will learn and apply the following skills:
- Sophomore year in Forensic Science II: crime scene documentation, collection and packaging of evidence, fingerprint analysis, and blood spatter analysis.
- Junior year in Forensic Science III: lab based skills used to analyze evidence found at crime scenes including hairs/fibers, DNA, firearms, impressions, and much more.
- Senior year n Forensic Science Advanced Studies: students will learn about specific fields within Forensic Science including entomology, anthropology, pathology and more 'ologies!'
Meet our Instructors:
- UNLV, BA in Anthropology and M.Ed in Special Education
- Death Investigator for the Clark County Office the Coroner and Medical Examiner
- Certified Fingerprint Examiner
- Forensic Science II
- Forensic Science Advance Studies
- 19 years teaching in public education
- Bachelors in Secondary Education, UNLV
- Masters in Administration, NOVA Southeastern University
- Endorsements in Social Studies and Physical Science
- Foundations of Public Safety
Students who Major in Forensic Science/CSA will take the following courses:
9th-Foundations of Public Safety
10th-Forensic Science II
11th-Forensic Science III
12th-Forensic Science Advanced Studies
We also encourage all Forensic Science/CSA students to Minor in one of the following areas:
Recommended Coursework Includes:
11th-AP Biology, Pre-Calculus
12th-AP Biology, AP CalculusEnter your text here...